Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Desperate for the Supernatural

I joined a small group at the church I have been attending in DC a few months ago and we are reading a book entitled 'Wanting all the Right Things' by Shirin Taber. This week's chapter is Desperate for the Supernatural and I just wanted to share an excerpt that really caught me; something I need a reminder of more often than I'd like to think.

"Spiritual transformation does not come about by sheer will power or the right attitude. We can't make ourselves more spiritual or live more noble godly lives. It's an act of grace. Grace originates with God and is not "produced" by our own initiative or based on personal merit. Therefore, the changes we are most desperate to experience must come directly from God and His work in our lives, not our own. Grace is a gift from God."

Deuteronomy 7:9-14
"Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, He is the faithful God, keeping His covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love Him and keep His commandments... Therefore, take care to follow the commands, decrees and laws I give you today... He will love you and bless you more than any other people."

No comments:

Post a Comment