Those who know me at all know I like nothing more than to sit in a coffee shop, enjoy a latte and read a good book. My books of choice are non fiction with my favorite genre being memoirs. I want to recommend Left To Tell to everyone! My mom sent this book to me after my grandmother suggested it to her.
It is a beautiful and graphic story of a young woman’s journey to discovering God amidst the Rwandan Holocaust. “Immaculée Ilibagiza was born in Rwanda and studied Electronic and Mechanical Engineering at the National University of Rwanda. Her life transformed dramatically in 1994 during the Rwanda genocide when she and seven other women huddled silently together in a cramped bathroom of a local pastor’s house for 91 days! During this horrific ordeal, Immaculée lost most of her family, but she survived to share the story and her miraculous transition into forgiveness and a profound relationship with God.” (http://www.lefttotell.com/about/index.php)
Before reading this book I knew little if anything of the genocide that happened in Rwanda in 1994. An estimated 800,000 to 1 million people were murdered in a matter of 100 days (as much as 20% of the countries population). You will find yourself unable to put this book down and lost in the events of Immaculée life – at one point I was reading the book in a coffee shop a few block from my house and I was so engrossed in what was going on that I almost jumped out of my seat when a friend came over to talk to me. The new depth of Immaculée relationship with God is inspiring. If you read it – please call me so we can talk about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment