Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"In the Summertime when the weather is fine..."

Nothing says summer better than being outside on a hot day and cracking open an ice cold can of soda – one of my favorite sounds!!

I have to remind myself why I like summer because right now it is 95 degrees in DC and extremely humid; I can’t walk to my car without breaking a sweat and it’s not even July. Summer is not my favorite season but I do love summer time for things like being outside. The combination of freshly cut grass and charcoal burning mixing with warm air always immediately takes me back to being little. When we were little we woke up on summer days, got dressed and went straight outside to work on whatever project we decided needed out attention: building forts, damning up creeks behind our houses, swimming, making our younger siblings act as our students while we pretend to conduct a class, riding bikes… I could go on. We’d stay out until we got hungry then we’d go home for lunch and right back out until the street lamps came on. None of this game cube / xbox stuff; well the occasional super Mario and duck hunt – BUT we only played that when it was raining or already dark!

Summertime in DC is great. There are so many awesome free events:

- Jazz concerts in the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden with yummy sangria.

- Screen on the Green, a five-week series of outdoor movies on the National Mall.

- Eastern Market, outdoor market (the market is open all year but awesome in the summer – with the best crapes stand!).

*those are my top 3 favorites with many more to discover I’m sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment